Birthing babies

I sent in our birth story (see end) to Orgasmic birth and they have informed me that it is being considered for possible publishing in their upcoming book. I was thrilled! I really enjoy reading birth stories; stories of triumph, empowerment, and happy endings. Although not everyone gets to have the birth they plan, due to unavoidable medical problems, I believe that it is the planning part that is most important. --Because in the end you knew your choices and you knew that you did everything in
your power to have this baby your way.
Knowing your body, your baby, and the natural process of birth is the most important thing you can ever do for yourself. You get one shot at having this baby. Why not make it the most amazing, most incredible, most empowering moment of your life? Why not make it natural, healthy, and real? Why not?

I hear complaints from new mom's all the time who say," I didn't know the doctor was going to strip my membranes!" "I didn't know epidurals can cause permanent nerve damage!" I didn't know that putting birth drugs in my body could affect my baby." I didn't know that popping my bag of waters can cause infection!" I didn't know labor inducing drugs like pitocin could up my chances for a Cesarean!" I didn't know, I didn't know, I didn't know........

My husband and I took the Bradley method of Natural Childbirth classes with our first baby, which was an eye-opening experience for me. It's not like I got pregnant and knew exactly what to do!The biggest thing I learned is that no matter what you choose, choose for yourself. Get educated, don't be afraid to tell your doctor what you feel is right for you, write up a birth plan, know your stuff, follow your instincts.

I loved these resources and recommend them to anyone planning on birthing a baby:

Birthing Books
Natural Birth the Bradley Way
Birthing from Within
Ina May's Guide to Natural Childbirth
Anything by Sheila Kitzinger

Videos

The Business of being Born
Orgasmic Birth
Birth Into Being
Born In Water

Our birth experience
, if your interested in reading.


Happy Birthing!