World of Knowledge



"Only read and study what is pertinent to my life. The world of knowledge is overwhelming, and gets in the way of necessity and truth."

I've been thinking all day what my statement means to me and thought I should clarify for myself what I mean by it!

Basically, there is so much out there to learn and discover in this great world, that I find that I get overwhelmed easily if I try to do it all. I go the library and check out 8 books that I'll never find time to read, I get on the Internet and bookmark 15 articles that I want to research and learn from, then go on to meet new people and wanting to pick their brains until I know every last thing about them. But there just isn't time. There just isn't necessity to know it all. By sticking to the most pertinent things, I am learning and doing what is most basic and necessary for me at the moment. I love to learn. However, I know that now is not the time to learn to play guitar, or read all those novels stacked up on my shelf, or run a marathon. Not with small children. Oh no, no, no, not with small children!

So that''s what I mean. Usually I am led to the things I need to know and learn. This past month Zadok has led our family to learn more about dinosaurs, because of his intense interest in them. It's been a fun journey to the Mesozoic era. I am currently trying to teach myself to sew these pencil rolls for Ugandan children. Odin is learning his colors. He gets so excited about the colors blue and yellow! As for Micah, I think he already knows everything. :)

I don't think I will get to learn everything I want to in this lifetime, but for now I am learning the most necessary and truthful things I need to. (Like if you leave Odin in the kitchen for 5 minutes unnattended, there will almost always be a huge mess)