Blind Date


In case you were wondering, I met Micah 5 years ago this month. He called me and asked me on a blind date. It was my first and last blind date ever. I was at my apartment when the phone rang, and it was my friend Karly giggling like a schoolgirl on the other end. She said that this boy wanted to talk to me and his name was Micah.

Apparently they had been browsing through an astrology book when Micah discovered that the perfect match for a Sagittarius (his sign) was an Aquarius (my sign). And naturally, he wanted to ask an Aquarius on a blind date. Karly thought of me.
The phone call went something like this:
"Hi my name is Micah. I am a Sagittarius, and you are an Aquarius. You are the perfect love match for me, will you go on a blind date with me?"

And me: "Um who? What? Who is this again?"

In the end I agreed, and hung up the phone laughing and thinking, "Who is this guy?"
The only information I had gathered was: His name was Micah. He worked at a Wilderness Therapy program in Southern Utah. He was visiting Karly on his week off whom they were old friends. He is a Sagittarius. I am his perfect love-match-Aquarius.

A whole month later we finally went on our date. Mostly because Micah had left town and didn't know when he'd be back again. When he finally called me I definitely remembered him and got nervous that this was really happening.
The night came when we made arrangements to meet. I was trying not to be nervous, especially because when you think about it, the whole thing was a joke. I mean, he didn't really think I was his perfect love match? He just wanted a blind date for the awkward experience of having a blind date. That is so Micah!

I drove over to the house he was staying at. I remember everything I was wearing. (Gray slacks, black blouse, blue down coat, rainbow beanie). Really besides the point, but It was a memorable night, after all.
I knocked on the door, and waited. I had no idea what to expect. Three things crossed my mind.
1. This doesn't matter. It's all a funny joke anyways.
2. If he's way unattractive and creepy, at least I might get a free meal.
3. I can always fake menstrual cramps and leave early

The door opened and there was Micah. Tall, handsome, smiling Micah. He was wearing a woven Mexican sweater, ragged trousers, a colorful beanie, and long, curly hair. His whole persona was screaming hippie-homeless-man. I absolutely loved it!
Oh and the biggest beard I've ever seen.
He got out his disposable camera and took a quick snapshot of me. I'm still not sure why. Then he told me right away he is NOT a rock-climber. I assumed so we could get any unwanted expectations out of the way, in case I had a thing for rockclimbers?

We talked a bit then he asked me what I wanted to do. Naturally, I wanted to climb up to the highest rooftop in town and shoot water out of my rubber chicken. So we did.
We climbed onto the roof of the Provo bell tower and that's where we spent most of the evening. The sky was clear, the air was crisp, and there wasn't much else I'd rather be doing than laughing, talking, telling stories, and shooting water out of my chicken onto the ground below, with this Micah character.

The we got hungry and went and ate Mexican burritos at 2 in the morning at some dive.
I dropped him off at his place and said goodbye. The next day I asked my roommate, "So how long do I have to wait to call him for another date? Because I don't think I can wait any longer!"

It was by far, the best blind date I've ever been on. And for those of you that don't fully believe in astrology, I agree. But that doesn't mean the Heavens didn't have something to do with this.

I love you my Micah, my Sagittarius!