Babywearing advocacy

I had the opportunity recently of helping with some photos for the International Babywearing Conference, coming up in June. It was a lot of fun, and reminded me that babywearing is something I know a lot about, and need to share more about!


Me and baby Odin, 6 months prego.
Photography by Bonnie Bunnel

For the photo shoot we had a few of my already-babywearer-friends come model baby carriers, and then some of the photographers friends came and modeled some, too. However, neither the photographer nor her friends knew anything about babywearing, so I felt like an expert in my field! It was great to be needed; running around making sure slings were properly fitted, safely secured, and used the way they were designed. The pictures turned out really great, and I felt a sense of pride in helping that happen!
Afterall, the pictures are being used for the conference, which is being held to help educate and empower families, in the art of wearing their babies. What a great cause!


Photography by Bonnie Bunnel

I would definitely like to be more of a babywearing advocate! Currently, I really like to bring up the benefits of babywearing at almost every LLL meeting, I wear my babies until they outgrow the need, I make carriers and give them away, and I share my BWing know-how with friends and strangers in the supermarket.
However, I realized that there is still so much more I could do to be more of an advocate in my community.
So I decided, "Here is something I know a bit about, and most people know nothing about--I need to teach a workshop!" (And not just one time--every few months.) So, my third workshop in three years is coming up April 26th. It is open to the public. I am excited to teach about babywearing to whomever shows up! Wish me and those helping me luck, especially that someone will come who really needs it!

Heather and baby Kameron, Mei-Tai

Rebekah and baby Kiah, Ergo

Sonja and baby Katie, ring sling

Photography by Bonnie Bunnell

To me, babywearing is more than owning a device to carry your baby in. It is much more than that. It is a continuation of the bond I felt during the 9 months of growing a baby in me. It is bringing a baby into the world and then holding his sweet smell and soft skin close to my heart. It is feeling the warmth and rhythm of his heartbeat against mine. It is always knowing he is close, and his needs are being met. It is being able to soothe him easily when he's crying, nurse him while I'm walking or out and about, take care of older siblings while he's sleeping or fussing, and look down at his sweet face while he looks up at mine.
There are a many, many benefits of babywearing--not just the convenience of having hands free to do housework, shopping, and exercise--but it also fullfills the natural, instinctual needs I have to nurture and be close to my babies. I could never imagine carrying my baby in a car seat. Never. It didn't sit well with me. And I think more and more Moms and Dads are finding that they don't want to be a part of that growing, cumbersome trend, either. Babywearing is about being close, and many parents are finding happiness in that closeness!

Happy Babywearing!

Click here on Bon's blog for some babywearing shots we did!

Click here on Bon's blog for the 2nd photo shoot pix!
Click on the IBC website to see all the rest! Under "Gallery"