Domestic Artist

My friend Kat always refers to herself as a domestic artist, and I have to say, I've fallen in love with this phrase. She is a stay-at-home, homeschooling Mom, of 3 children, who has found happiness in perfecting her domestic skills. And not only because she feels she has to, or needs to, but because she has looked at her life as a form of art--that everything she does can be done beautifully and meaningfully to benefit her growing family. I've always admired her for this.

I realize that many of us didn't grow up sewing, or cooking, or baking, or gardening, or decorating our homes, so it is somewhat of a skill we learn along the way, as adults. Micah bought me my first sewing machine 4 1/2 years ago, and I looked at it with the fear and anxiety of a kid on his first day at school! But slowly, as I've been plugging away at little projects, a sewer has emerged. I have been lucky to meet other friends along the way, who take pride in their various domestic abilities. It has been a blessing to learn from others, the many diverse arts of being domestic.

Sometimes, as I'm plunked down on the ground, folding the largest load of laundry you've ever seen, I think about what it means to be a domestic artist.
Most days I don't have the time to dive into creative projects of artistic flare and fancy, but even the mere fact that my home is organized, comfortable, and homey-feeling, gives me a huge sense of satisfaction. (I never said totally clean!)
And the little details I see around me; clothes hanging on the line, warm bread in the oven, homemade curtains hanging in the windows, an organized closet, made-up beds, and two little boys running around in my superhero capes, make me feel like a true domestic artist.

This is one title I want to strive to live up to, because it makes me happy. :)
What's your favorite "domestic art" you've acquired over the years?