Big kid now!

We are parents of a 4 year old! It's still shocking to say out loud. That was always other people, not us. But now, here we are, raising a family with kids that are actually getting older. Weird, I know.
We took our 4 year old to get his haircut this past week , and boy do I think he's handsome.


I sat in the waiting area, watching him sit there in the hairdresser's chair, and eves dropped on their conversation. He was answering questions and talking to her, just like a real person. It really hit me then, that he is really growing up. Man oh man--where did my little Squishy go?


My favorite thing about him, though, is that he isn't all that much different from the toddler I once knew. Or even as far back as the baby I once knew. Some of his all-to-famous character traits are still shining strong, in this big, grown up 4 year old.
For instance:
He still loves to play anything make-believe.
He still needs me to have "cuddle time" with him every day.
He still gets super shy around people we've known for years, and hides behind me, or runs away.
He is still timid when we walk into a busy or crowded place.
He still loves hugs and kisses, and likes to pretend to be my baby.
He still loves to dance, and sing, and be silly.
He still loves to learn new things every day.
He still gets really mad and yells when he's frustrated.
He still wakes up happy in the morning, no matter what.
He still likes eating a very limited amount of foods, in small varieties. (picky)
He still wants to be "just like Micah."
He still loves reading books with Mom or Micah.
He's still excessively whiny when he doesn't want to do something.
He still loves it when I make up stories for him in bed at night.
He still warms my heart every day, and
He still says "I love you" to his Mama.

So, although he is growing up, I feel like I know him so well.


This is him below with his good friend and fellow Jedi Master. These two are so funny together, and I'm really happy that four means having a special friend that likes Star Wars as much as he does.
(BTW, I sewed those cloaks for them. I think they turned out pretty cool. I followed this pattern...kinda)



This is his "special" basket where he decided to keep all things that are important to him. Every once in a while I peak in there to see what he's hording, and laugh out loud..... An old latex glove from the Dr.'s office, a tooth floss sample from a health fair, a toy wallet with nothing in it, and a snorkel and mask that he won't actually try..... to name a few items.


He just really cracks me up, on a daily basis. I was reading back in my journal from 2 years ago, about when we first moved here. Micah was gone for a week at a time, I didn't know anyone, I didn't have any friends, and I didn't have anything to do for a couple months. I wrote about how my little Zadok made me so happy. He was (and is) my best friend in the world, and we had so many adventures together. (Odin was just a wee baby)
I hope that I never let my personal agenda, or extracurricular things, get in the way of building an awesome relationship with Zadok.

Just like any other person in the world, he has his good days and his hard days. Just like me, some days he's happy and some days he's upset beyond reason. I definitely think that raising him, and watching him grow into a person, is making me a much better person... because some days I don't think I know what I'm doing, but he loves me anyways.
Unconditional love is what 4 year olds are all about--and I like it.
Here's to many fun adventures ahead with our big, grown up kid!