Party?

I am finally figuring it out here in Utah land. If someone invites you to a party, you have to make sure you know what kind it is first, before you accept. I know, I know, it sounds silly, because who doesn't want to go to a party?
But for the 10th time this year I got invited to a party, got all flattered they would be so kind, accepted the invite........then realized it was really a business party. As you walk in the door they hand you a catalog, and hope you brought your checkbook. It could be for books, tupperware, cooking supplies, scrapbooking, clothing, make-up, or board games. You name it, someone in your neighborhood is selling it, and calling it a party.
What sort of madness is this???? I have to admit I wanted to cry. Doesn't anyone want to have a party, just because? And then they could call it a party and really mean it? And then they could invite me because they just really like me?

I'm all for people making an extra income, but maybe they should call it something else as to not confuse the little people.