Snowy Day

Today is our first day of snow. It is purely white, and soft, and beautiful, and we can see it falling onto our concrete steps through the window of our apartment. I put chairs next to the window so the boys could stand and look up, to see the snow as it falls from the sky. "Ooooh ahhhh--It's snow mama! It's snow! When can we go out and play in it?"

"I don't know," I reply. I know they look out and see a Winter wonderland of possibilities.
When I get up to see the snow falling, I see a cage. It's as if a big, black, ugly cage is falling down and closing up all around me. Its white, soft and tempting flakes welcoome me, yet at the same time seem to be pushing me back, and keeping me in, like a beautiful demon, tricking my soul.

It won't always be like this. As the snow keeps falling all Winter long, I will adjust to it, learn from it, play in it, enjoy the sparkling beauty of it, and have many happy days covered head to toe in pure, white snow.

But for some reason, this first day of snow is really awful.

There's a car down the street that has a bumper sticker that says, "WINTER SUCKS>"

It makes me happy.